Friday, February 17, 2012

Thrasher Presents: Thrasher's Top Ten Video Games, Part Ten

Today we wrap things up for both of our countdowns. Speaking for myself only, I think this has been a really interesting experience, and I've enjoyed the challenge of picking out just 10 games to take with me on that metaphorical deserted island scenario. Join us tomorrow for a critical analysis/post-game show/breakdown of our selections and a bonus look at some games that just missed the cut. First, let's take a gander at my nine previous picks:

TimeSplitters 2 (PS2)
WCW/NWO Revenge (N64)
Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
THPS 2 (PS1)
Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy (PS1)
Everything or Nothing (PS2)
Freedom Fighters (PS2)
Crazy Taxi (PS2)
NHLPA '93 (SNES)


TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (PS2)

Notice I said TimeSplitters 2 was "almost" peerless yesterday. Not surprising, though, that its only peer is the sequel. Hard to say which is better, really. I wouldn't want to do without either one, so if I could someday get both TS2 and TSFP on the same disc, I would be happy as a clam. TSFP clearly has the better Story mode and single-player experience, including a co-op Story option, and the multiplayer is on point as usual. This is what Chicken Man and I have been talking about these past few days; even though TSFP had online play, Free Radical didn't skimp on the offline options. If anything, they embellished them. I personally don't care nearly as much for the maps in this one as opposed to TS2 or even TS1, but they are still very good, not to mention head-and-shoulders above modern shooters. Map Maker has been improved as well, though fewer bots can be used in custom maps than in normal circumstances. You also get blood, which seems odd at first in the TimeSplitters universe, but eventually you become inured against it. Again, it's tough to decide between them, and even though I'm inclined to pick TS2 over this one, I'm including both in my top ten because they tower over any other choice I could make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?