Tuesday, February 14, 2012

For Your Viewing Pleasure, Chickenman's Top Ten (Part 8)

Aforementioned Top Ten Games:

The Sims (PC)
Star Wars: Battlefront (PS2)
Hitman: Blood Money (PS2)
Everything or Nothing (PS2)
Rise to Honor (PS2)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (XBox360)
TimeSplitters 2 (PS2)


The original Splinter Cell required a larger learning curve than any other game I have chosen to become proficient in playing. For many young'ns, I imagine, it is not easy to resist pulling a piece out and shooting the first enemy he sees. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell punished acting upon this inclination. Therefore this game cannot be called a shooter. Within it, a firearm is a tool such as any other. The real weapon is your mind and your ability to innovate.

I am unable to select a single game from the series and tout it as the best of the bunch. The addition of online play in Pandora Tomorrow, as well as the added feature of co-op in Chaos Theory (which I believe was a nominee for the Co-Op Award) showed that the developer wasn't simply putting out expansion packs, but credible games that could stand on their own feet. Obviously Conviction stands out as the blackest sheep of the bunch for its more action-oriented approach, but I cannot say that it is superior or inferior to the greater orientation towards stealth of the previous games. They are simply different, and both have their place in the series.

I feel that I need not say much about these games, because it's likely you've played them and know what I am talking about. If you have not, I would advise you that I consider your gaming experience incomplete for not having done so. Simply, the entire Splinter Cell series belongs on everyone's video game bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?