Monday, February 13, 2012

Thrasher Presents: Thrasher's Top Ten Video Games, Part Seven

Tough choice today between two of my favorite brawlers. Still, I feel comfortable with my pick. First, though, let's recap my picks to date:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy (PS1)
Everything or Nothing (PS2)
Freedom Fighters (PS2)
Crazy Taxi (PS2)
NHLPA '93 (SNES)


Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

It's tempting to include this one on my list for sentimental reasons alone. Any other game and I'd feel guilty about that kind of blind nostalgia, but Streets of Rage 2 is different. Despite this being the first game I ever owned, it's still one of the best. I can probably beat it with my eyes closed (on Easy or Normal difficulty, anyway, I'm only human) but it continues to grow on me. This is the archetypal beat-'em-up, and everything that followed fell short of its mark, including Streets of Rage 3. I can find absolutely no fault in this game whatsoever. It's just silky smooth to play, especially co-op. You know it's a classic, and you know it's an indelible part of your childhood, when the soundtrack continues to loop endlessly in your head, even as an adult. Streets of Rage 2, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?