Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday From the Archives: Agent Under Fire (2001)

Every Friday we celebrate the heritage of Code Redd Net by posting a retro-review from our considerable back catalogue of embarrassingly naive, but nonetheless entertaining and heartfelt, movie and game reviews. Please pardon the prose; most of these articles were written in our immediately post-pubescent years. Hopefully you find them as enjoyable as we do.

Looking at this review now, I'm simultaneously horrified and proud, as I so often am of my early work. Quite frankly, I'm surprised I understood how to properly use the word "amalgam" in a sentence. Beyond that, I still hold true to most of these opinions. I played one of the driving mission this morning, "Streets of Bucharest," and it was just as much fun as I remembered, perhaps even better than those in either
Nightfire or From Russia With Love. I certainly wouldn't consider the storyline to be
"good" except in a kitsch-y way, and I think the controls are a bit slippery. Furthermore, comparing its multiplayer to GoldenEye is a bit of a stretch, but I do remember enjoying our battles and the absurd possibilities of low-gravity gunfights with jet-packs and and Q-claws. Unfortunately, the PS2 version lacks bots, something which always irritates me in a game like this. Still, this is a good game, and well worth seeking out for Bond buffs.


"Cutting edge graphics, entertaining multiplayer, aw
esome driving sequences and a good storyline equal one great 007 adventure. The FPS levels are entertaining and the rail-shooter missions offer variety to the game, but the real surprise is the driving missions. I understand that the people behind the Need for Speed games worked with these missions. The voice-acting is superb and AUF has many familiar voices to Bond fans. James Bond himself, though, is not voiced by Pierce Brosnan. Instead, he is somewhat of a amalgam of past Bonds. He looks like Brosnan/Moore and sounds like Sean Connery. The story has plenty of twists to it and is very entertaining. Control-wise the game is good, but it takes some time. Multiplayer is just as good as the rest of the game. If you want an idea about what it is like just think of GoldenEye for N64, but with a faster pace and more enclosed battlegrounds. Overall, this game is sure to please 007 fans and non-fans alike."

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?