Monday, January 30, 2012

Netflix Instant Movie Review: Seraphim Falls (2006)

As I browse through the available selection of Netflix Instant, I often find myself unable to find movies or shows that I had hoped would be available. However, there also seems to be a glut of options that I had never heard of before or had but seem to be pretty old. For those familiar with Code Redd Net, you know that we do not discriminate by age, and we enjoy things that are a few or even several years old. Consequently, I think a fitting service might be to sift through what is available on Netflix Instant and perhaps offer our readers some suggestions of worthy films.
More than anything else, what drew me to this movie were the leading actors (forgive the lack of sophistication of this approach). I saw it as a face-off between super-killer Bryan Mills of Taken and the second most recent 007. And what better setting for a showdown than the American West (especially for two Irishmen)? But the movie involves less of a "showdown" than of a chase. I really don't want to give away any more than that of the story and, if you do intend to see this film, would advise against watching the trailer. Part of the fun is being in the dark about the motivations of the characters. But regardless, westerns aren't particularly known for their complex plot lines, but for the aura of their elements: tough men (and women) in tough country doing tough things. And Seraphim Falls is just that. In fact, it seems for me to be redemption for Pierce's masculinity after seeing that joke called Mamma Mia! (which happened to be the first part of a drive-in double feature. Coincidentally, the second film was Taken). He pulls of some pretty B.A. things, which were themselves justifications for watching the movie. That being said, it can get pretty long in some stretches, and can be exhausting from the constant cat and mouse game. But for fans of westerns, especially of more modern ones, I would give Seraphim Falls the thumbs up, as well as for fans of both Neeson and Brosnan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're on the mike, what's your beef?